Currently, multiple external databases can provide updates on competitive technologies and research efforts. It is key for the innovator to understand their opportunity in advance. Here are a few examples.
- ClinicalTrials.gov is a database of privately and publicly funded clinical studies conducted around the world
- Medical Device Clearances, Denials, and Approvals database from the FDA
- Still more databases from the FDA
- The US Patent Database is a source for competitive ideas and finding out the idea is not competitive – check the applications, not the patents
- Google Scholar updates you on competitive research.
In your research, you should seek companies that are working in your space, companies that want to work in your space, and companies that recently failed in your space.