The first step is to get to know the professor. Published disclosures are older. The new stuff is the current research and the information they want to disclose shortly. This is the early stuff.
So, you then go to the tech transfer office. Here are some concepts you should understand before you meeting.
- You can take option on technology for 6 months
- Option process is relatively inexpensive
- Keep renewing option as you apply for grants and partners
- Work with professor on advancing technology
- “Exclusive right to negotiate” is a key legal term for the offices
- University can’t sign lesser deal afterwards
- Not a matching offer agreement